The area of land that the club leases and its surrounds was gifted to the community by the owner of the land WL Murphy.  This land is now managed by the Burringbar Recreation Reserve Managers, held in trust for the community, and today is known as the Tom O'Connor Recreational Reserve.

The Waratah Hockey Club formed in 1932 and Sam Masterson, the Postmaster, became President and held the position for 37 years until 1969.  Many champions have played their hardest on these grounds ever since. Hockey has traditionally been the most popular, with fond memories of team spirit and pride when at times, with a population of 1500 people, one in eight people played hockey, earning it the reputation of being the 'Home of Hockey on the Tweed'. 

The clubhouse was built by volunteers to mark the 50th anniversary celebrations in 1982.  Opened officially on the 3rd October, the Waratah Hockey Club raised money for the building materials by saving club funds and fund-raising for several years.  It was opened by the club Life Member Glady King and has grown over time to now be Club Burringbar. (History courtesy of Ian Fox)